Dwelling Fire (DP3)

Red For Rent Real Estate Sign in Front of Beautiful House.

Dwelling fire policies are landlord insurance policies that insure single-family or duplex homes that are rented and not vacant.  A Dwelling Fire (DP3) policy provides coverage that you can count on, including the following:

Loss of Rents

Loss of Rents coverage provides a landlord with continuous rental income if their active rental property must be vacated due to repair work after a covered peril such as a fire or windstorm.  If the property is uninhabitable and renters are forced to live elsewhere, Loss of Rents coverage ensures that no loss of revenue to the owner from rental payments occurs so the focus remains on repairing the property and not on financial hardship.

Other Structures

With a Dwelling Fire (DP3) policy, other structures on the rental property such as a detached garage or shed are eligible for repair or replacement in the event of a covered peril.  This ensures that the landlord will not have to pay the full cost to rebuild these structures if damaged in a hail storm or destroyed by fire.

Personal Liability and Medical Payments to Others

Personal Liability and Medical Payments to Others are important additions to your rental property insurance policy portfolio as a landlord.  If a tenant brings a lawsuit against you as a result of an accident on the property, this type of coverage can provide the money you’ll need to cover any medical costs as well as your defense. 

Optional Coverages

To ensure full peace of mind, Heritage Insurance can also provide optional coverage on the following:

Ordinance or Law

Many communities have an ordinance that states if a structure such as a single family home or duplex is damaged beyond a certain threshold, often about 50%, it must be demolished and rebuilt in accordance with current building codes rather than simply repaired.  If an older home is damaged, there may be significant costs to upgrade the electrical, ventilation, etc. to current codes.  As a landlord, you can obtain an Ordinance or Law endorsement that will cover the loss of the cost of demolishing and rebuilding, or the increased cost of rebuilding an older structure in accordance with current building codes.


The loss through theft of the landlord’s personal property within the rental unit is not automatically covered under the Dwelling Fire (DP3) policy.  Additional theft coverage will ensure your refrigerator or other appliances and furnishings within the rental property will be replaced if they are stolen from the single-family home or duplex unless stolen by the tenant.

Your insurance agent can help you define the amount of coverage and options appropriate to your individual situation. We are proud of our partnership with independent agents who are highly trained professionals focused on customer satisfaction and attention to detail.